Visa information UK


Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

Under this scheme, young persons (aged 18-30) from specific countries may live and work in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland for a defined period of time.

The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme is suitable for young people who are a:

  • citizen of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan
  • British overseas citizen, British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas).

If you are a citizen of Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea or Taiwan, your own government will act as your sponsor during your stay in the UK. Bear in mind that the number of places and sponsorship certificates for nationals of these countries is limited. You need to apply for your visa within 3 months upon receipt of your certificate of sponsorship (please note: the latter is not a printed document, but a reference number).

Under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, points are given for nationality and age. It is crucial to have enough funds (maintenance) to support yourself for the length of your stay in Britain, and the applicant should provide evidence of having access to at least 1,890 GBP in savings.

You are responsible for your visa application. You can also apply online.

When applying, you will submit the following documents to the British embassy or consulate in your country:

  • your valid passport containing a blank page for your visa
  • a passport size colour photograph meeting the necessary requirements
  • a bank statement proving that you have access to at least GBP 1,890
  • the results of your tuberculosis (TB) test if necessary
  • certified translation of any document which is not handed in in either English or Welsh

Please check with your local British embassy or consulate if you need to hand in any further documents.

The visa is usually issued to cover a period of 2 years. Therefore, the respective au pairs do not need to contact the Home Office* after 6 months. You may leave and re-enter the country within this period of time. If an au pair who requires a visa needs to register with the police, this will be noted in his/her passport. In this case, the au pair should register within 7 days of arrival.

*Please note: The ‘UK Border Agency’ has been replaced. ‘UK Visas and Immigration’ is now carrying out formalities for applicants wishing to visit, work, study or settle in the UK.

Good to know: the work permit which the au pair receives under the Youth Mobility Scheme is automatically valid for 24 months.

Students from outside the EU / EFTA who have been offered a place on a course may be allowed to work a certain number of hours per week (usually up to 20), depending on their course level and sponsor.

Please turn directly to the UK government if you have any further questions concerning the student visa for the UK.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  We are an introduction agency only and take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided. This information is mean’t for guidance only and due to the ever changing immigration laws it is the responsibility of the aupair to check prior to travel that they have the correct visa in place.