Visa information Italy


If your stay in Italy does not exceed 90 days, you can enter Italy as a tourist. Find out if you need to apply for a tourist visa, and if so which documents you require, by looking at the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ website. For citizens of some countries, you might only require your passport to enter Italy.

Even if you don’t require a visa to enter Italy, you will require insurance for the duration of your stay, to cover the costs of any possible hospitalisation or repatriation. In addition you should ask your host family to find out from their local territorial health unit (ASL) whether or not you can register with the Italian National Health Service.

Within 48 hours of your arrival in Italy, you and your host family should go to the nearest police station to submit your “host declaration”(dichiarazione di ospitalità), which declares that you will be living with the family for the duration of your stay.

Student visas for Au Pairs staying longer than 3 months

First of all you must sign up to an Italian language course. Your host family will help you find the course best suited to you. Make sure to check that the establishment offering the course is on the list of approved schools which are recognised when applying for a student visa. In addition, the language course should be a minimum 20 hours per week.

Take the following documents to your local Italian embassy or consulate:

  • your certificate of enrolment on an Italian language course (issued by the language school on receipt of the total course fees)
  • your passport
  • proof of accommodation (a “host declaration” from your host family stating that you will be living with them for the duration of your stay)
  • a statement of your health insurance
  • proof of sufficient means to support yourself throughout your stay
  • proof of purchase, or the means to purchase flights to and from Italy

Make sure to check with your local Italian embassy or consulate beforehand that no other documents are required, as your application will not be accepted until all the required documents are submitted.

Within 8 days of arriving in Italy, you (accompanied by your host family) should go to one of the following offices to submit your application for a residence permit:

  • the municipality (Comune)
  • the Patronato
  • theSportello Unico per l’immigrazione within your host family’s prefecture
  • the post office (to fill in the Kitform)

For your residence permit you will require the following:

  • the application form
  • your valid passport and entry visa
  • a copy of your passport and visa
  • 4 identical and recent passport sized photos
  • a revenue stamp worth €16

Please consult the National Social Security Institute’s website (INPS) for more information on the exact costs, and steps you are required to take.

If you are a New Zealander, an Australian or a Canadian citizen, you can legally enter Italy with a Working Holiday Visa.

We recommend that you contact your local Italian embassy or consulate for more information, and before applying for this visa.

Useful links:

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  We are an introduction agency only and take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided. This information is mean’t for guidance only and due to the ever changing immigration laws it is the responsibility of the aupair to check prior to travel that they have the correct visa in place.