Visa information Germany


Your future host family should send you a signed contract and invitation letter by post. You need these documents for your visa application. You can find an example of the aupair contract here to download.

  1. The German Embassy examines your basic knowledge of German. The embassy in your country also defines which knowledge level can be considered as adequate. Ask the embassy in advance if your language level is sufficient for getting a visa.
  2. In Germany, there is an age limit for becoming an au pair. You should not be older than 26 when you apply for your visa.
  3. You should take the following documents with you when applying for your visa at the German Embassy in your country:
  • the au pair contract signed by your host family (original)
  • the invitation letter from your host family (original)
  • your valid passport
  • the insurance confirmation you received from your host family (your host family commit themselves to taking out insurance by signing the invitation letter)
  • write about how the au pair stay will fit in with your set plans

According to the au pair contract, the au pair employment should start within 6 months after applying for the visa. The duration of the au pair placement should be of at least 6 months.

As soon as the visa is issued, you may leave your country. The processing of the visa may differ from one country to another, therefore it is recommended to allow for 6 weeks up to 3 months time. Call the German Embassy if you wish to know how much time it will take exactly.

Further documents could be required, such as a police clearance certificate or a health certificate. In this case, it is equally recommended to ask the German Embassy in your country.

Upon your arrival in Germany, your host family should register you at the Residents’ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) and the Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde). The residence permit will first be issued for 3 months and must be extended afterwards.

As of 1 September 2011, au pairs in Germany need to apply for an electronic residence title, the so-called “Aufenthaltstitel“, at the Immigration Office in their host country. For this purpose, a biometric passport photograph is required. Costs vary depending on the duration of the residence the au pairs apply for. The process of issuing a residence permit, which is valid for up to one year, costs 100 euros. According to present experiences, it may take 3 to 4 weeks until the residence permit is handed out. Therefore, we recommend that you ask the local Immigration Office about this matter in time.


Different rules for specific countries:

Are you a national of Australia, Chile, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea or Hong Kong? In this case, you may be able to apply for a working holiday maker visa too. Please contact the competent authority for more information.

  1. Working Holiday Maker visa for Australian citizens
  2. Working Holiday visa for  New Zealanders going to Germany
  3. Working Holiday Maker visum for Japanese citizens (Japanese version)
  4. Working Holiday Maker for citizens of Hong Kong (PDF)
  5. Working Holiday maker visa for citizens of South Korea (PDF; Korean version)
  6. Working Holiday maker for citizens of Taiwan (German version)
  7. Working Holiday maker for citizens of Chile 
  8. Youth mobility visa for Canadian citizens

Visa exemption on entry: Au pairs from Australia, Israel, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, South Korea and the USA may travel to Germany without a visa. However, they need to apply for a residence title at the local Immigration Office (Ausländerbehörde) within three months after their arrival and before the au pair placement starts.

For other non EU countries you will need to check with the: Federal Employment Agency:Bundesagentur für Arbeit

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  We are an introduction agency only and take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information provided. This information is mean’t for guidance only and due to the ever changing immigration laws it is the responsibility of the aupair to check prior to travel that they have the correct visa in place.