My name is
A LITTLE ABOUT ME
I’m studying in my city’s university, more specifically the English as a Second Language Teacher Training course. I also work as a volunteer in a Non-Governmental Organization me and some friends of mine founded two years ago, in which we organize educational activities for high school students all over the country. As you can see, I’m passionate about languages and education.
If I had to use just three words to describe myself, I would say I’m positive, energetic, and curious. I enjoy reading, learning (I’m obsessed with online courses), listening to music (and singing along very badly), going for long walks, and spending time with people (friends, family, co-workers…). I’m very open-minded and I do my best to learn more about all the ways humans can be diverse, so I can be more understanding of people when interacting with them.
WHY I WANT TO BECOME AN AU PAIR
– I love being around kids and teenagers.
My mother always laughs at me because whenever I see children I constantly look at them to make sure they’re not hurting themselves, even if their own parents are there. It seems to be second nature to me. I can have a lot of fun playing silly games with kids and will happily sit down on the floor to be at their level and interact with them. As for teenagers, I found them incredibly interesting to listen to. Adolescence is both a complicated and exciting time in a person’s life, and I like the idea of helping them find their own way through it in the healthiest and most fun way possible (this is a big reason why I want to be an educator).
– I want to expand my knowledge of languages.
Classes, books, and apps are very entertaining but I know nothing compares to be able to learn by actually using the language one wishes to learn. My English is very good but it would be a perfect opportunity to learn more vocabulary and pronunciation, as well as idioms and other phrases.
I’ve also recently started learning Italian on my own. My great-grandfather came to Argentina from Anacapri, and I’ve always wanted to learn more about both the language and the culture, considering it’s a huge part of my family’s history.
– I want to travel somewhere I’ve never been.
Travelling is an opportunity to open my mind, to see more human diversity, try new food (always important!), and learn more about myself. I’m really interested in surrounding myself with nature and taking long walks.
WHY I THINK I WOULD BE A GOOD AU PAIR
I’m very responsible, organized, and punctual. I have knowledge of first aid and react efficiently under stress. I enjoy helping with homework and school-related activities.
To be absolutely honest, the main reason why I think I would be a good Au Pair is that I care about people. I can assure you I will care for your kids as I would care for my own if I had them. I will do my best to make sure they feel safe with me and I will try to help them with anything they may need while they’re with me. I will talk to them, and play with them, and help them with their homework. I will actually BE there for them.
ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE
- I worked for two years in a childcare room in a restaurant. Basically, parents left them with us while they had dinner or were doing a celebration. My job consisted of taking care of the children and playing group games with them, as well as preparing food and feeding them. Ages from 18 months to 12 years.
- I'm currently working as a children's entertainer in party rooms. My job consists of taking care of the kids, playing group games with them, feeding them (but not preparing the food), and doing activities with both adults and children. Ages from 4 to 10 years.
- I've taken care of my little cousins in the past, and more recently, my nephew. For a few hours when needed. Ages from 1 to 5 years old.
- I was part of a group of university students who went to low-income neighborhoods to help elementary school students with their homework for a few months.
- I was part of the team of five teachers at a month-long study trip with 40 high school students across the North-East of my country in September 2017. My job consisted of checking their health and emotional status during the trip, making sure everyone had the right equipment for the activities and were where they had to be at the right time. Besides that, I would just spend time with them during and in between activities. Age: 17 years old.
EXTRA KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS THAT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST
- I was a Red Cross volunteer in my city for two years and I have completed courses in First Aid, Psychological First Aid, and Disaster Training.
- I've completed online courses about dyslexia, the autism spectrum, learning disabilities in general, and depression. I'm always expanding my knowledge about different disabilities and mental illnesses, and ways I can help as carer or educator of children and/or teenagers.