From the 27th of November 2008
The Youth Mobility Scheme as TIER 5 of the new points-based system will apply to those applicants wishing to come
to the UK.
That means to qualify to be an au pair in the UK you will need to be:
- An EU citizen*; or
- A national of a participating country†; or
- A British overseas citizen; or
- A British overseas territories citizen; or
- A British national (overseas)
† As of February 2011 the participating countries are: Australia, Canada, Monaco, Japan and New Zealand.
- You will also need to be aged between 18 and 30 years of age and have sufficient funds to support yourself from when you first enter the United Kingdom until you start earning.
- You may not participate in the youth mobility scheme if you have dependant children or have previously spent time in the United Kingdom as a working holidaymaker.
- You will be expected to leave the United Kingdom when your permission to stay ends.
- You will only be able to come to the United Kingdom on the youth mobility scheme once.
* Although Romania and Bulgaria have joined the EU, their nationals still
need an Accession worker card
. Please Accession workers
and Accession worker application form