A live in caregiver in Canada is defined as anyone who provides full time, continuous and
unsupervised child care such as an au pair, nanny or babysitter, or care for the elderly and
disabled in a private household.
Normally to qualify an applicant must have:
- Have successfully trained for 6 months as a caregiver OR 1 year experience in full time employment of which at least 6 months with the same employer.
- Some ability in English or French.
- An employment contract as a live in caregiver with a family in Canada.
When the family and caregiver have agreed the terms and contract the procedure is as follows:
- The Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) must validate the offer of employment.
- The caregiver must then apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for an employment authorization to work in Canada.
- Full information for the caregiver program.